There are pros and cons to both small and large companies
when it comes to trying to control internet misuse. With large companies usually the IT
department is much larger. They normally
have a lot larger funds to work with.
Therefore they can buy all the necessary software to keep their
computers up to date from the latest viruses.
Smaller companies have an advantage in that they are working with a lot
less people, making it easier for their IT professionals to keep control over
their employees.
Cons to a smaller company just the opposite of the pro to a
large one is that they are working with a limited fund base. Therefore, making their selection of anti-viral
and other applicable software limited.
Large companies are at a disadvantage in that they are monitoring so
many people. So even though they may
have better software in place they are still at a higher risk because of the
amount of people working there and the exposure to different contents.
My wife's company does not have any internet restrictions and people are always on facebook and checking their emails and twitter. I know that companies loose millions of dollars during the first week of March Madness (college basketball tournament). People always like distractions! good post
ReplyDeleteJames Todd
Group 7
That's a great example with your wife's company. My company had minimal restrictions for a while but due to the amount of misuse they have put so many restrictions in place that you almost have to ask permission for every site you get on. It's an unfortunate thing but it's necessary sometimes.
DeleteI work for a very large international corporation, and so of course, they have a VERY large IT department, and the best anti-virus and firewalls that money can buy. When I first started working there, they had not blocked a number of social media sites, such as Twitter and Pinterest. I'm not sure why they were never blocked. However, a few months after I started, there was a virus scare and they ended up blocking 80% of the sites on the internet. So now, it's hard to research companies because most of the time, you cannot even log on to their official website to find information since it is blocked. I understand trying to be safe, but blocking the website for a small sign company in Florida doesn't make sense to me. Why is a legitimate business website blocked? I know that there is a process to have it unblocked, but that can take weeks, and if I have a time-sensitive matter, it may be too late! What are your thoughts about that?
ReplyDelete